Arizona Study Program
The Arizona Study Program is a twelve year graded course of study developed by the ASMTA to provide for the development of musical Performance, Theory and Technique. It is organized in terms of the twelve years of public school, with one level available for each of the years a student would be enrolled in school. It requires continual work throughout the year. In the spring, there is a performance evaluation by a master adjudicator and a written theory test.
Membership in ASMTA is required of all participating teachers.
2018 EVMTA EVALUATIONS
Friday, May 11, and Saturday, May 12
Arizona State University
December 1 End of regular enrollment (form in yearbook or online): $25 per student
After December 1 the enrollment continues at the increased fee of $40 per student Send all enrollments to DeAnn Mortensen.
February 15 Final Enrollment deadline. No enrollments accepted after this date.
February 15 Send work assignment form to Sara Stapley
February 15 Student Program Forms due.
Levels 5 – 8 send to Juliana Kraver
Levels 9 – 12 send to Hanna Jang.
(No program forms are required for Levels 1 through 4 but music must be original piano solo compositions; no arrangements or transcriptions are allowed.)
March 1 Send applications for McCurnin Teacher Enrichment and Certification Grants to the ASP State Chairman, Barbara Stoutenburgh. Forms are on asmta.org.
Mid-March Instructions for Evaluations (Packet 2) will be sent to teachers enrolled (time block, confidential report form, parent letter, Student Evaluation Forms, and name tags).
April 10 Return completed Confidential Report Form to address indicated.
May 12 Pick up evaluation results and awards at ASU in W218 on Saturday 6:00 – 7:00 PM
Results not picked up at ASU will be available Monday morning, May 14 only, 9 – 12:00 (location TBA)
- Complete and return the Enrollment Form and Work Assignment Form. You will receive confirmation via email when your registration is received. (For registration questions, contact DeAnn Mortensen – email@example.com)
- Each student must purchase a theory workbook. They are copyrighted, and may not be copied.
- Indicate previous teacher(s) of all transfer students if students were previously in ASP.
- Send one check for your studio (teacher’s check only). NO REFUNDS OR SUBSTITUTIONS!
- Copy additional Enrollment Forms if necessary.
- A student may be enrolled in different levels for performance/technique and theory. Please indicate the different levels on all forms. Records will show completion of the lower of the two levels.
- The performance/technique level will determine the time allotment for evaluation.
- Theory must match performance level within two years.
- Levels may be repeated and/or skipped at the teacher’s discretion.
- Students may be evaluated in only one level per school year.
- Level 4, 8, and 12 awards are given only for completing Category A. (To receive these awards, repertoire, technique, and theory must all be at the same level in the same year.)
- A Level 12 student (high school seniors only) may, upon request, take the Level 12 theory test early (testing date in January). Please notify Barbara Russell if you wish to take this option.
- If a student cannot be evaluated on the above dates, contact the chairmen by April 1 to make arrangements for a possible earlier There may be an additional fee for the adjudicator.